Senior Learning Designer - Project Lead
Victoria (Remote), British Columbia, Canada .
full-time . November 4, 2022
full-time . November 4, 2022
Level: Senior Learning Designer/Specialist
Work Location: Remote
What's the Job?
To support our growing team, RaceRocks is seeking a collaborative, energetic and creative Senior Learning Designer - Project Lead. In this role, you will have the opportunity to lead the design and development of immersive, decision-driven training systems, holding the project vision while collaborating with our talented team including Learning Designers, Project Managers, Developers and Artists.
In our flexible, remote workplace, and under the guidance of our Lead Learning Designer, you will apply and develop your instructional design, learning technology, people leadership and organisational skills to work directly with clients from needs analysis to Learning Management System (LMS) deployment. As the client and learner’s advocate, you will drive the design, development, and testing of engaging learning experiences using tools such as Office 365, the Google Suite, Slack, Jira, Captivate, and Articulate.
Learning solutions that you may bring to our clients to solve their training issues include:
- Updating curriculum to address gaps and to more effectively reach new audiences or goals
- Transfering face-to-face training to a blended model by leading the design of new programs, distributed learning courseware, LMS course architecture and reporting, and onboarding programs
- Integrating a task trainer or simulator into existing programs (designed in collaboration with our Developers and Artists) to build confidence, develop skills or address skill fade
- Evaluating the success of a learning product by utilising available technologies and developing user testing or piloting strategies
What will you do?
- Work closely with clients to understand their constraints and identify training needs:
- Get to know learners and their characteristics, the tasks of a position, and what the successful performance of these tasks looks like.
- Work with the client and their subject matter experts to identify resources for developing learning materials.
- Support clients in understanding the best media and technologies to meet training needs (in collaboration with a Training Technologies Specialist).
- Collaborate with discipline Leads and Project Managers to lead a team of Learning Designers, Artists and Developers in understanding the requirements, vision and constraints of a training project:
- Lead creation of process and requirement documentation, such as training plans, technical design documents, QA plan, backlog, etc.
- Define reporting, onboarding, and administration needs for a learning program, including course architecture and deployment/reporting strategies (in collaboration with a Training Technologies Specialist).
- Review work from all disciplines and provide feedback and support in aligning the final product with the training needs.
- Work closely with your team to prioritise, mitigate risks and adjust expectations to maintain a cohesive vision throughout the project.
- Apply your Learning Design expertise to guide Learning Designers on your project or to directly produce deliverables depending on project scope and timeline:
- Break down complex information into an engaging and easy to understand format.
- Create lesson plans and storyboards for eLearning courses, task trainers, simulators and serious games according to instructional design principles.
- Examine, review and correct content for accuracy, consistency and accessible learner experience.
- Produce and publish media-rich, responsive content.
- Create interactions and assemble course content using eLearning software.
- Test Distributed Learning packages in a LMS and assess effectiveness.
- Work with other Learning Designers to grow and enhance your discipline expertise.
Who Are You?
You believe learning should be fun and engaging. You look to technology for learning solutions—YouTube has helped you fix your bike or re-pack your tent.
Your superhero name could be “The Synthesizer”. You excel at taking complex ideas and making them accessible. You have a knack for outlining learning objectives and proposing solutions to help learners optimize performance. True satisfaction for you is finding a creative solution to solve a puzzle.
You bring empathy and clear communication to everything you do. Collaboration is your jam. You value the different perspectives on your team and thrive in an open and diverse environment. Listening and guiding to craft a vision and rallying a team behind it brings you joy.
You have an “honesty over perfection” mentality; you can own your mistakes, strengths and struggles, and you help build an environment where others can feel safe to do the same. When faced with the uncertainty of new clients or projects (unclear project requirements, changing processes or stakeholders, new tools, etc.) you thrive on helping create a platform for successful team work to happen.
Your past experience and training has helped you grow to be a confident designer when working with learning technologies, and a confident project lead. You feel capable and excited to work with the qualifications and skills outlined here, although you don’t need to have experience in all areas.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Proven experience with:
- Assessing training needs and producing training plans
- Developing course material for distributed learning (developing course material with Articulate Storyline and Adobe Captivate an asset)
- SCORM, xAPI and generating reports
- Leading cross-discipline teams to a quality final product
- Highly skilled communicator; ready to collaborate through uncertainties and lead clients/teams to clarity around learning solutions
- Self-starter with a passion for training solutions
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma (preferably in a related field)
Who are we?
RaceRocks is creating a world of limitless learning through innovative training experiences and custom software tools for military and aerospace partners. Our team utilises cutting-edge technology to create realistic, interactive experiences for learners to practise and adapt from the classroom into the real world. Our goal is to Enable Teams and Empower Decisions.
We are a people-first company committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equality and inclusion. We are working hard to create career paths for those who are passionate and eager to grow both professionally and personally. We are proud to be an Indigenous and woman-led business helping to foster opportunities across the tech industry.
- Extended health benefits including dental, life insurance, vision care and mental wellness program
- Optional bi-weekly team social hosted by the Culture Committee
- Professional development program
- Flexible work hours including optional flex Fridays
- 3 weeks vacation to start
- Work from home stipend
- All candidates must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- All candidates must be willing to undergo security assessments as required by Public Services and Procurement Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
$78,594.06 - $91,693.06